What better way to waste time than a nice 'what I did today post'
I went to gym this morning and felt like absolute shit. I went tot he nicer change rooms downt he back though that didn't smell like shit. A good choice that was.
I went to the babs place for the supposed revision group at 9am. Turns out it was at 10 so I went to the library and read about corrosion/ slept instead.
Rocked to the lab at 10 which was pretty good. THIS HERE CAN BE REVISION MATERIAL
:LIGHT DEPENDANT
Water supplies the electrons in photosynthesis.
An electron is excited inside the chloroplast by a photon.
The electron is replaced by the splitting of a water molecule into H+ ions and O2 gas (the waste product)
The excited electron goes on to P680 (photosystem II) then P700 (photosystem I) in the electron transport chain before being shoved into the electron carrier NADP+
A H+ ion that was split from the water molecules sticks to NADP+ to form NADPH
ATP is made somewhere in here but I didn't really catch it so I guess I don't understand photosynthesis as much as I thought.
LIGHT INDEPENDANT
FIXATION
AuBP (or something like that) a 5 carbon substrate fixes the CO2 gas.
Creates a 6 carbon intermediate which immediatley breaks into two 3 carbon molecules
REDUCTION
Lots of enzymes then reduce the thing over a few cycles into GLUCOSE
REGENERATION
More enzymes come and regenerate AuBP, the original 5 carbon substrate used to fix gaseous CO2
Yeah the depth of knowledge is lacking but they said they only wanted understanding of the concept and they'd give full marks! hohoho... hopefully that's true
RESPIRATION
1. Glycolysis (I've already forgotten where it occurs... outside mitochondria in cytoplasm?)
Glucose broken in 10 enzymic steps into two pyruvate molecules. Creates 2? NADH and ATP
2. Pyruvate made into Acetyl-CoA
3. Acetyl-CoA goes into TCA cycle which make smore electron carriers (NADH and FADH2)
4. Oxidative phosphorylation
NADH goes to complex I and donates its electron there turning into NAD+
FADH2 goes to complex II and donates its electron there turning into FADH+
The electrons then move onto complex III and at complex IV there is an O2 molecule there. This O2 gets the electrons and is joined by H+ ions to form waste product H2O.
While this is all occurring, every time an electron is donated from an electron carrier, the H+ ion which is split from the carrier is pushed into the intermediate space between the inner and outer membranes of the mitochondria, forming a proton gradient.
H+ ions can move through complex V, the ATP synthase, which is a sort of rotor which allows the synthesis of ATP from ADP. This produces lots of ATP (34/36)
This blogging is a sort of semi revision... to bad BABS is last and I've forgotten a lot of complex numbers lol.
The babs lab was good until chicks started asking about punnet squares and modes on inheritance. 'Which ones?' the demonstrator asks. The chick responds 'All of them.' So I promptly leave.
Then I went to optom lab and sat there for 5 hours doing questions on one set of physics. GFG.
On another note I should sleep soon as it is almost 11 and I like sleeping early.
On a more self indulgent note, I am used to it now. It'll keep happening and I'll get even more used to it. This won't phase me.
I'll put you away now. All of it. Hor hor hor
Save my life?
Change my mind?
Is where I Goddamn belong.
No comments:
Post a Comment